BOB HARRIS Country Shows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:36:00  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Highly entertaining Elizabeth Cook session yesterday evening, both singing and talking.

Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  12:09:53  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chely Wright - Best track yet I've heard from the album,great feel to the production.

Dawson Reigns - New kid on the block opened Bob's show ? Quite a surprise. I came across this guy in May. He's a Canadian artist who hails from Cambridge, Ontario.'If Crazy Wasn't So Beautiful' reached # 22 on the Canadian Country Charts.

His debut CD ENJOY THE RIDE was produced by in Ontario following trips to Nashville working with some ace songwriters. Dawson has described his sound as Upbeat / Rock / Country fusion - "I'm not Lynyrd Skynyrd Southern Rock, I'm a classic rock kind of guy". Influences include rock bands Def Leppard and Bon Jovi but as a music fan Dawson loves the storytelling aspect and via country music (Garth Brooks)

Exciting news on Dawson's website, he hopes to pay some visits to the UK in October leading to festivals in 2011. This has come about after his physical CD's were shipped across the pond and one must have landed on the Bob Harris BBC doormat!

Dawson's tracks have strong messages with a contemporary feel and are full of energy which wouldn't be out of place on the Billboard Country Chart.
I wasn't surprised to hear that duo Montgomery Gentry are artists he wants to meet and tour with having a Rock-a-Billy sound which he really enjoys.
Fans of Montgomery Gentry and artists like Jason Aldean may like to check out Dawson's music.

After the track Bob said "If Crazy Wasn't So Beautiful, but then we all know it is, DAWSON REIGNS this is a new name, a new album called ENJOY THE RIDE....A very good album this is, I'll be playing another track from it next week "
What do Whisperers think to it

WEBSITE - http://www.dawsonreigns.com/
MYSPACE - http://www.myspace.com/dawsonreignsmusic
iTunes- Link

REQUEST - Bob, Looking at the HOTDISC website it seems you are someone who receive's the monthly release. Any chance of hearing Lucie Diamond's terrific new single 'Make Some Time To Love Me' which Lucie wrote with wonderful songwriter Victoria Shaw who produced Lady Antebellum's debut album.

Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2010 :  20:09:47  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good for Dawson Reigns to get his second spin. I now realise why I'm glad Po Girl have progressed musically and why I didn't like The Be Good Tanya's first time round. Sorry but Frazey Ford's vocal is dreadful and was painful to listen too. Oh well there's always next week.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2010 :  19:44:53  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob Harris Country 22 July
Dierks Bentley - Really getting heavy airplay across BBC Country programmes and interviews.
Elizabeth Cook - Some glowing comments from Bob's listeners about her session on the show. For those that like her thought I'd mention whilst browsing in the latest Country Music People mag in WHS there was a full feature on her. She's very photogenic, wish I felt the same about her new album. I'll take my oxyacetylene torch to other musical pastures.
This blog quote is an accurate one - "Elizabeth Cook is like a modern day Loretta Lynn. She sings and writes as frankly about sex (with songs like Yes to Booty), as Lynn did with "The Pill"

Rita Hoskings - The session chats are always worth a listen but her vocal didn't appeal and I very quickly found myself turning the volume right down - lost on me.
Lady Antebellum - Been top of the UK Country charts for many weeks and Bob's become a fan. With opening the show what an opportunity to mention their 1 off London show in 3 weeks time. The news doesn't seem to have seeped through to the Bob Harris production team, strange I thought considering 'Run To You' is currently on the Radio 2 "A" playlist
On their AOL Sessions Lady A were superb but there seemed to be something lacking at the last 2 CMA's when vocally they weren't always spot on. Can they really cut it live and are they too much influenced by Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles with a cut and paste approach in the way that Little Big Town obviously are
Go to Top of Page

StockCarG
Frequently Whispers

537 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  12:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lady Antebellum...are they too much influenced by Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles with a cut and paste approach in the way that Little Big Town obviously are?

Well Andy, I guess you've pinpointed why I like both Lady Antebellum and Little Big Town and I'm afraid I can't take comparisons to either Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles as any sort of criticism!
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  16:48:44  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Stock Car G
Little Big Town's cut of 'Only What You Make Of It' is a big take off of The Eagles 'Best Of My Love' - quite how did they get away with that artistic license !
Young 4 piece group Gloriana are also using The Mac / Eagles cut & paste approach. Their labels know this sound is a winning formula. Maybe in a few years country fans will tire of it and prefer a more solid country sound. Lady A must have thought the steel in 'American Honey' would frighten UK fans off hence why it was remixed replacing it with electric guitar riffs.

Going back to the London date. I'm wondering just how much news gets through to the BBC about tour dates? In this so called modern age of info technology maybe with the draw of London, Radio 2 playlisting and their social network tweets they feel thats all they need to do to alert fans.
Before broadband Bob and Nick Baraclough used to read the major tour dates out on their shows. Now it seems more resticted to session guests, though to be fair Bob did give a shout out to the 2 Rosanne Cash dates.
Go to Top of Page

StockCarG
Frequently Whispers

537 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  19:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe in a few years country fans will tire of it and prefer a more solid country sound. It's probably that 'more solid country sound' that I would object to about a lot of country music. The closer any of it shades to rock, the more likely I am to pay attention. I mean, The Eagles are frequently described as being country - of a sort - but they are not what I'd call country. Not, I hasten to add, that I'm any fan of pigeon-holing music. I don't really believe in that except as a type of shorthand for describing an artist to another music fan.

In the end, as I guess has been said many times before, it's just a case of different strokes for different folks, and what a dull world it would be if we all liked the same things.

As for the tour date stuff, I always think Bob gives out quite a lot of dates, certainly in comparison to many presenters. Plus, it's worth remembering that R2 has to strike a balance between informing the music cognoscenti and entertaining the casual listenership, with the latter always bound to be making up a large part of any audience and probably the largest proportion at that.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  21:56:04  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I grew up listening to Crosby Stills & Nash then through teens The Eagles and POCO and yes I never considered it for one minute to be country.Now they sound more country than most on the country Billboard charts. Not long after I got into country music in 1992 the Common Thread ( Songs Of The Eagles ) project came out which prompted the "new Country" movement and the Travis Tritt 'Take It Easy' video brought The Eagles back together.
The edges of country music are very blurred in America and its becoming the same over here even more so with remixed albums for the UK market.
It would be nice to hear acoustic guitars,fiddles, dobro and the odd banjo! Also the quality of songs the labels allow you to hear are just not what they once were. Name a classic song since Lee Ann Womack 'I Hope You Dance'?
"Different Strokes" - 3 boxes for ALL music Good , OK and Bad - all subjective of course.
Yes even Bon Jovi have showed up at the CMA's. With your liking of Lady A and Little Big Town would you therefore like to see the awards return to a Live Radio 2 broadcast and BBC 2 highlights
Go to Top of Page

StockCarG
Frequently Whispers

537 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2010 :  22:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As regards 'The Common Thread', I never could get into that. I wouldn't go so far as to say 'sacrilege' but I never felt any of them were as good as the originals.

I do agree about Lee Ann Womack's song - it probably was the last great country classic, and an all around great song. Well, if in fact you class it as country! As for all the re-mixed versions though...I heard the dance mix on the radio the other day, and that really does count as sacrilege.

"Different Strokes" - 3 boxes for ALL music Good , OK and Bad - all subjective of course. Totally agree with that.

And as for the CMA awards, well, I'm not really into awards shows. The judges' choices almost never agree with mine and they end up just irritating me. So, even if it was on, I probably wouldn't watch or listen - well, maybe if Bob was presenting. Oddly enough, I do think they should be broadcast though, simply because so many other people want to see them and would enjoy the shows.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  19:33:33  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Stock Car, Here's one for you:
Did you hear that song Lady A's Charles Kelley wrote that's a spoof of Lee Brice's "Love Like Crazy?" It's an ode to Waffle House called "Biscuits and Gravy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXsN-J-ASqg&feature=player_embedded

Bob Harris Country 29 July 2010
Wow! 3 plays now for Dawson Reigns. Bob really seems taken with his album and is "Enjoying The Ride"
Agree with Bob about how well crafted Mary Chapin's songs are.
The Quebe Sisters Band (pronounced Kway-bee)- Maybe this was their first BBC Radio 2 play having been played right across the BBC Country programmes in July. I wonder how many people buy this style of music to play at home, best appreciated live perhaps
Maybe Radcliffe and Maconie will be glowing about them no doubt at Cambridge.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/the-radcliffe-and-maconie-show/
Peter Cooper / Eric Brace - Lots of name checking in the session.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2010 :  11:48:17  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Surely its a racing certainty that Bob wil be playing the new Robert Plant single 'Central Two-O-Nine' from album 'Band of Joy' release date September 14, 2010. Why
1) Its an Americana Release
2) Its on Rounder Records
3) Band members include Robert Plant, Marco Giovino, Patty Griffin, Byron House, Buddy Miller, Darrell Scott. "I approached Buddy Miller because he had been lighting every room that I played in when I was with Alison" says Robert.

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just noticed the tags under peoples' names 'frequently whispers', perhaps I am talking too much

Loved the Thurs show, great session and always good to hear Rodney Crowell sing 'The first I heard Johnny Cash sing I walk the line', so enjoyed that.

His 60th birthday today I think.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  19:37:33  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Isobelj
Loved the Thurs show, great session and always good to hear Rodney Crowell sing 'The first I heard Johnny Cash sing I walk the line', so enjoyed that. His 60th birthday today I think.
Hi Isobel , Yes I agree best show for some weeks. Sarah Petite is growing on me. The live session with Kim Richey was particularly enjoyable. High praise from Bob about Dale Watson saying its his best album yet.

You mentioned RODNEY CROWELL, he is to make an exclusive Irish appearance at the 9th annual JOHNNY KEENAN BANJO FESTIVAL Thursday 23 - Sunday 26 Setpember 2010

Cambridge Folk Festival Highlights
Listen Back - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00t9xy4
Mark Radcliffe at 2hr 52 said The Quebe Sisters were his favs and earlier said that Joe Pug was a discovery. Well Bob was ahead of the mark regarding Mr.Pug!
The Quebe Sisters #2 and Carolina Chocolate Drops were # 1 sellers at the Proper Record tent.

Kris Kristofferson - 2hr 42 to 2hr 52 Said for 7 to 8 years he has toured without a band, that it's a a nice experience, allows "a freedom and directness of contact that works really well" and its the only way he wants to work now with this freedom so the essential part of the song comes through to express what he feels at the time, politically.
Listening to the highlights the crowd cheered him at the end. Either they are easily impressed by a "big name" or have blurred visions from visits to the beer tents. Maybe they are the ones responsible for giving JEDWARD a NE at #17 this week on the Album Charts and like tuneless voices.
BBC Radio Cambridgeshire reviwed the Festival on Wednesday.
The Kennedy Rose performance accolade for the 46th Cambridge Folk festival went to Kris Kristofferson.
This name comes from the "legendary" Kennedy Rose who were the backing band to Emmylou Harris, who was every bit the professional but the backing band didn't know what had hit them some years ago at Cambridge. The reviewer said a lot of the audience were "wrapped up" with him. For her a lack lustre performance for a headliner who didn't take it seriously...."On his own just with him and his rather piercing harmonica , lack lustre performance on a couple of songs, massacred "Me and Bobby McGee",couldn't sing, he was flat, singing was a few bars behind or ahead of his guitar playing most of the time, didn't take the gig seriously with not having a band "
Harper Simon - He didn't fair well either, he blew it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0092ds4/Mandy_Morton_04_08_2010/

Will we be hearing Gwyneth Paltrow on Bob Harris Country What you say ! Yes following on from Laura Bell Bundy and to a lesser degree Amanda Holden, another actress has gone country.
Gwyneth's first country tune didn't get much love from country radio on its first full day out.Only 30 of the top 125 country stations played "Country Strong," the same title as her upcoming movie, where Gwyneth stars as an aging country star trying to make a comeback. Most of those stations only played the song once, according to Billboard's senior charts manager. Only one station, WGTY in York, Pa., played the song three times.
You can hear the song by listening to Marie Crichton's Country Show on BBC Shropshire or going to this site. Tim McGraw plays her husband/manager in the flick filmed in the Nashville area. The movie opens in America Dec. 22.
Gwyneth spends her time in London with husband Chris Martin, who happens to be the lead singer of Coldplay. He also taught her how to play guitar for the movie.

Personally having heard the song I think its great. Its tons better than a lot of the Nashville dross on the charts.
Vince Gill and Patty Griffin help out on backing vocals
This is not the first time Paltrow has released a song. She recorded a song with Huey Lewis back in 2000, Cruisin', a Smokey Robinson number.
Maybe Bob will playing it if he has seen Michelle Branch's tweet , giving her stamp of approval for the song - "I was actually impressed"

Has Bob also noticed Taylor Swift's "tweet" - I landed in Japan and got 20 texts and looked at iTunes and got tears in my eyes. And so, we begin again. :)

Taylor Swift's brand-new single, "Mine," shot to the top of the iTunes singles chart for all genres within hours of going on sale.
It was supposed to go to radio Aug. 16, but several websites got the song and posted it. Taylor's label shipped it to radio, and apparently to iTunes right away.
Me thinks it may not pass the BH Country Test even though this "old grey" thinks its OK

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  10:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Andy
I didn't know about that date for Rodney Crowell in Ireland, thanks for that. Will try to get there!

The Cambridge highlights disappointed me slightly, loved the Carolina choc drops they are really good and some others though.

Your comments on Kris Kristofferson - ouch - but yet, that surprised me. Haven't heard him sing for a long time and wasn't expecting that. I suspect the audience applauded out of affection for him. I'm not too demanding but do like singers to be able to sing

Interesting about Gwyneth Paltrow will listen to that, expect she is really good. Such a talented actress and charismatic screen presence. Reminded me of Beverley d'Angelo as Patsy Cline and of course Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn in 'The Coalminer's Daughter', a film I saw on TV and loved in my teens and bought on video some years later. That was the first time I had heard of Patsy Cline too, already being a great Tammy Wynette fan as I fell in love with her 'Stand by your Man'.

I will really look forward to the Gwyneth Paltrow film. I knew she was married to 'a singer', didn't know he was with Coldplay (not knowledgeable about bands like that).

Go to Top of Page

merton
Occasionally Whispers

126 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't seen Kris Kristofferson before his set at Cambridge, I only knew 3 of his songs and I hadn't been near the beer tent. So I don't feel obliged to fight his corner. But I thought that he charmed the audience with a set that managed to convey a sense of intimacy that took some doing in front of a crowd of several thousand.I didn't sense any 'sympathy vote' for him, just an audience reacting to a quality songwriter performing some wonderful songs. All IMHO of course.
Harper Simon was disappointing however. Seemed overawed and under rehearsed with the exception of 'Berkeley Girl' which he played beautifully.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  11:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He sounded on radio as if he was talking to a small gathering so can see what you mean about achieving the intimacy with large crowd. I think he is charismatic, I always like his films. Don't know about a sympathy vote but thought that it was his popularity perhaps rather than quality of singing - I don't like criticising people but certainly he hit some somewhat flat notes in the songs played on the Cambridge highlights show
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  11:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HAPPY 40TH ANNIVERSARY!

Great show last night, I loved hearing that Glen Campbell song.

What a really enjoyable session with Rachel Harrington and Rod Clements too, I saw them last year in Berwick and am hoping to see them on the forthcoming tour. A really good collaboration.

Also enjoyed the reminiscences about Lindisfarne and 70s fashion

Looking forward to Saturday's show.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  18:54:46  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like going back in time hearing Mary Chapin Carpenter. One of the very first country CD's I picked up on. Looking forward to the 1 hour special on BHC next month. POCO were a big favorite of mine through my teenage years, alternative country before the name was ever invited.
Great pic of Bob with Lady Antebellum - Click . Hillary Scott certainly has inherited her mums stunning looks. Should be a good session on Thursday.

Anyone checked out the new Harper Simon album ? I have to say several tracks sound more country than most things on the Billboard charts, it helps having Al Perkins playing on it.
Go to Top of Page

jela
Frequently Whispers

881 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  22:46:02  Show Profile  Visit jela's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loved the session tonight with Kevin Welch - what an interesting chat, wouldn't it be great to attend one of his songwriting workshops? Sounded idyllic.

...and then closing the show with 'Iron' by Sam Baker
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  14:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I second that Jela, really enjoyed the Kevin Welch session. Also hearing the song by Savannah Welch, the Trishas are so talented. The whole show was great.

The chat about the songwriting workshops was fascinating, it's such a gift when people write a good song and one line of it can encapsulate feelings or moods. Don't think I have songwriting talent in me but it fascinates me when people do, and endlessly come up with new and original expression in musical form.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

jela
Frequently Whispers

881 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2010 :  17:16:52  Show Profile  Visit jela's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how many people heard that session and are now kicking themselves for not going out to see Kevin Welch perform live. I'm hoping he comes back soon to the UK and tours more extensively than he did this time round.

Bob - would be interesting to know what reaction you received from your listeners.
Go to Top of Page

jela
Frequently Whispers

881 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  12:12:24  Show Profile  Visit jela's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just been listening to Thursday's show with Mary Chapin Carpenter on 'Listen Again' as I only managed to catch the last 10 minutes or so on Thursday as I didn't get home in time for the start.

Wonderful reminiscences and I couldn't believe that it's been ten years since she last toured over here. Didn't seem that long ago and I am so looking forward to the Barbican show next Saturday.

I loved the 'special' element to the Country show, would be very happy to see this format feature a little more regularly. I also really enjoy the 'themed' Country shows when you play tracks by e.g. Texas artists, AMA nominees, artists on tour etc.

A great hour's worth of music.
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2010 :  10:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Didn't like the shock to the system yesterday evening, I'd heard on Wednesday that there was going to be extended concert show, but thought they meant 5-6 pm, break off for B H at 7 pm, then back to concert at 8 pm.

No disrespect to Elton John, hugely entertaining singer with some great songs, but I was expecting the Country Show at 7!! Quite put me out for the rest of the evening.

Looking forward to Ryan Bingham next week though.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  11:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loved the show last night, and so enjoyed the first songs by Dale Watson and Jamey Johnson, I have to catch up with The Guitar Song, haven't got the album yet.

It is good to hear the 'traditional' country, I love the newer alt/sometimes more rock style too, but love the resonance of those country voices and playing.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  16:28:14  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to DALE WINTON and Al Booth for the 2 hour CMA highlights show on Radio 2 last night. Good interviews with Lorrie Morgan, Sugarland, Brad Paisley and newbies The Band Perry and Jerrod Niemann. A well compiled programme along with live CMA highlights.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vmx62

Good to hear the recorded Little Big Town session on BHC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00vm25n/Bob_Harris_Country_Little_Big_Town_in_session

CMA Winners
Music video - Miranda Lambert "The House That Built Me"
Musical event (Award goes to each artist.)
'Hillbilly Bone' -"Blake Shelton featuring Trace Adkins
Musician - Mac McAnally (Guitar )

Entertainer Of The Year - Brad Paisley
Female Vocalist - Miranda Lambert
Male Vocalist - Dierks Bentley
Album Of The Year - Revolution ( Miranda Lambert )
Single of the Year - "Need You Now" - Lady Antebellum
Song of the Year (A songwriter award) -
'The House That Built Me' - Miranda Lambert ( Tom Douglas & Allen Shamlin )
New Artist of the Year - Zac Brown Band
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  15:43:28  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No reaction to Country Music's Biggest Night with the CMA's on this forum ?

It was good to hear the recorded September interview with Dierks Bentley this week. He did appear on UK TV screens this week on Showcase TV (Sky 201 / Freesat 403) he hosted his fifth annual 'Miles & Music for Kids' celebrity motorcycle ride and benefit concert on Oct. 17 in Nashville. In only five years, the event has attracted over 30,000 fans and raised an impressive $1.2 million for children?s hospitals in Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth and Atlanta.

'Miles and Music' is one of the greatest things we do all year,says Bentley. Ummmm ...Miles & Music sounds like a Bob Harris and son connection !
Dierks live performance of 'Up On The Ridge' at the CMA's was very good indeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39wQYkSlUCM

I dearly hope that Scotland's Brian Hughes will be given the consideration he deserves for Bob Harris Country. His singles are available digitally to radio media. Original songs, great musicianship and high quality recording. To my ears highly listenable Americana. His single 'Damascus Road' topped the UK HotDisc Chart and sits at #2 this week.

People who subscribe to Maverick Magazine may have heard its to be a Digital Only download from Feb 2011 as a PDF file, no more printed copies not there were any in the shops in my nearest towns. I wondered what their readers think having to view it on a computer screen ?
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  10:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really enjoyed last night's festive show.

Happy Christmas everyone. I'm still playing white Christmas, Frosty the Snowman and Let it Snow. Think I could be unpopular this year if anyone overhears, 'too much of a good thing' definitely applies this year. Everywhere locally looks like an animated Christmas card, but impractical.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2010 :  15:34:45  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ref last weeks show:
Sarah Jarosz - Long Journey(Song Up In Her Head)- Wow! What a track, atmospheric and lovely. One of the best tracks I've heard in 2010. Such talent for someone of 19 years old !

Kimmie Rhodes - As a new Christmas album with mostly original material its been great to see that it has had excellent backing across the BBC Stations with Bob and Aled Jones strongly supporting it on Radio 2.

Mandy Barnett - great to hear her golden voice once again, just a shame this new Christmas release contains new little new material deciding instead to cover well-known tunes.

Mindy Smith - Really nice track for a Christmas show. Unlike Isobel I haven't been in the mood to play much festive music but I did spin a couple of tracks from Mindy's 'My Holiday' CD ( 2007) probably the best seasonal release that year. The title cut, 'Follow The Shepherd Home' and 'Come Around' always going down well.

Bob Harris Country 16 Dec
Good to hear The Band Perry played. The Band Perry On December 2, they notched their first number 1 song when If I Die Young hit the top of the Billboard Country Songs chart for the week ending Dec. 11.
The album has sold over 200,000 copies and the trio had a million reasons for thanks when on December 14, the self-penned, Grammy-nominated single, If I Die Young, was certified Platinum by the RIAA for sales exceeding an amazing 1 million.
The song was nominated for a Grammy and also was number one on the country charts.
"This song is about hope and contentment," said TBP lead vocalist, Kimberly Perry. "Fans seem to have taken this song to heart as a positive reminder to appreciate each day you're given. Every night we sing this song, it's a reminder to us as well - we couldn't be more grateful for this response.

Yes it seems The Band Perry continues to be a sales leader and it looks as if some of the same people who like Miss Swift also like the family trio.

Good to note from the homepage link that Bob Harris Country is alive and well for 2011. With sessions fron the drugs busted Justin Townes Earle another one with Sugarland ? and good that Laura Cantrell will make a welcome return in March.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006x527

With contracts up for renewal and with the BBC looking to reduce their costs with the scrapping of specialized programmes (whose audiences figures having apparently reduced) two BBC Country presenters with a combined total of over 50 years experience say their goodbyes this week.

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  19:15:07  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being purely greedy, really missed the country show yesterday. It left a large gap in the evening.

I tuned in at 8pm actually to listen to Slash's guitar heroes, while not pretending to be a huge metal fan, I enjoyed it and stayed with until the end of the show. Not every piece of music appealed to me, but I enjoy hearing guitarists talk about each other and his presentation was entertaining.

Even so, missed the country show.

Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2011 :  14:43:36  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Various things:
1) Country Show 6 Jan
hanks Bob for playing The Toy Hearts from Bimingham England not Alabama ! They seem thrilled for the great start to 2011 you have given them - http://thetoyhearts.com/site/
The Secret Sisters were impressive on Jools NYE Hootenanny - I wish I had recorded it. Also seen a recent interview with them on Showcase TV (Freesat,Sky) which was great. I've heard they got a very poor review in Country Music People (2.5 stars ?) but you refered to an even worse one - Can you reveal the source of that You rightly tell your radio audience to ignore them. I'm sure they will make perfect session guests with you in a few months time. They are just the type of artists that Cambridge Folk Festival would openly embrace.

2) Hotdisc Requests
It is good to hear you soundbite Bob on Stuart Cameron's 2 hour HotDisc show on Sundays. I therefore assume you or Al Booth receive the Hotdisc compilations or access the radio available digital tracks If so, could you please give a listen / spin to Scotland's Brian Hughes Americana track 'Damascus Road (Hotdisc 142) which was # 1 on both the main chart and UK Hotdisc chart without it being a premier cut.
As you have supported Canadian mainstream country artist Dawson Reigns in 2010 could you kindly lend an ear to Marlee Scott who is currently at #1 on the chart with her debut European single 'Here To Heaven' (Hotdisc 144) Official Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNi9vPGDQ7c

3 ) Maverick Magazine
As a former subscriber last week I received a letter from Maverick Towers informing me that as of the February Issue (103) it will now ONLY be available online or by a downloadable Digital PDF File. It appears that I am one of 2000 readers who left them for various reasons last year.
A FREE sample pdf of the current January issue allows you evaluate it for yourself.
DOWNLOAD LINK
In giving feedback I was kindly told by the editor Alan Cackett that in monetary terms the loss of a little over 2000 subscribers in 2010 worked out at around £80,000 - "it almost led to the closure of the magazine". So far 95% of subscribers who are online are taking the pdf version - at least until their current subscriptions run out. Those who don't have PCs were offered refunds.
Considering:
a) That on the front cover the magazine states Maverick is " the voice of country,folk, bluegrass and roots music"
b) Its content and c) How easy it is to read Maverick on a computer screen
What do Whisperers think to Maverick in this paperless format

4 ) Billboard Album Sales
Country had a solid year, although the genre was down 5% to 43.7 million units from 2009's total of 46.1 million units
Other large genres posted declines Christian/Gospel sales declined 13% , Rock, the largest genre tracked , saw its sales drop 16%, R&B suffered a similar decline down 17% . Rap music made a big comeback last year, driven by the top-selling album of the year, Eminem's "Recovery," (3.4 million units ) This was the only genre to post an album-sales increase + 3%

Few country artists sell over a million albums these days.
Albums that seem to have sold big in 2010.
Taylor Swift - Speak Now (2,883,330) Sold since Oct 2010!
Lady Antebellum - Need You Now (3,070,310) Top Seller in Country in 2010
Miranda Lambert - Revolution (1,115,892) Passed 1-Million in 2010
Taylor Swift - Fearless (6,207,723) ..Think she's added 1.5 Million + this year.
Carrie Underwood - Play On (1,916,823 )

Sugarland's album The Big Machine has currently sold around 800K and should in a few months time pass the million mark. Last week they were Radio 2's Record of the Week with their new American/UK Single 'Stuck Like Glue' which is now on the Radio 2 B playlist. Do they best represent modern day country
What do Whisperers think to the track
Their official fun video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDPw_qjhtM
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2011 :  16:28:06  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Comprehensive review on Thursday of artists appearing at Celtic Connections.
The Quebe Sisters haven't travelled to Glasgow due to illness.

Country News
Sugarland will be on the Radio 2 A Playlist next week

Cherryholmes announce they're done - Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Bluegrass family band Cherryholmes are splitting up.
In a post on their web site Wednesday afternoon, the group - parents Jere and Sandy Cherryholmes and children Cia, B.J., Skip and Molly - announced they are no longer together musically to enable family members to pursue their own goals. Cherryholmes released four albums on Ricky Skaggs' label.

Long article about Lady Antebellum starting to record a new album this week:
Source - http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/01/13/lady-antebellum-third-album-recording-studio/

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  18:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All this talk of curry is really making me hungry, various curries are some of my favourite foods. And I was hungry anyway.

A great show to look forward to tonight, the Justin Townes Earle session will be great. I can't guess what the country showstopper is going to be yet.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  19:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was a great start to the show! I love that song. Still can't believe Dolly Parton is 65!!

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

anthony
Occasionally Whispers

125 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  15:20:26  Show Profile  Visit anthony's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had my tongue in my cheek when I asked in another thread whether people thought there was such a thing as 'city country', but I was interested to hear Bob describe Justin Townes Earle's music as 'urban country'. I suppose that has a nicer ring to it, but it still doesn't escape the same inherent contradiction!

Why not just admit that it isn't country music though? Sounds like city music to me. I'm sure that with all his standing at the BBC, Bob's grim-faced bosses wouldn't object too strenuously if he strayed from his brief every once in a while in his choice of music.

In all seriousness, I think Bob should interpret his brief for the show as broadly as he likes and prioritise Americana as the genre, rather than country as such. Country has a dowdy ring to it in this country, and I sense that even such small popularity as it has ever had here has been on the wane in recent years.
Go to Top of Page

StockCarG
Frequently Whispers

537 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2011 :  18:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Bob already interprets his brief pretty widely, Anthony. Indeed, as Bob remarked shortly after taking on the show, far too widely for some folk who think Country revolves around torch songs or must always feature eighteen-wheeler trucks.

I believe it was John Peel who once wrote that, while he thoroughly enjoyed Bob's Country Show, "Lord knows what would happen if he ever actually played any Country".
Go to Top of Page

davem
Frequently Whispers

400 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  02:34:48  Show Profile  Visit davem's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once again, I think this link has relevance, just in case anyone hasn't looked at it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_music

Not, of course, that we can always take Wikipedia completely and utterly as Gospel, but it gives some idea of just how wide that 'brief' can be...
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  11:27:14  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony

In all seriousness, I think Bob should interpret his brief for the show as broadly as he likes and prioritise Americana as the genre, rather than country as such. Country has a dowdy ring to it in this country, and I sense that even such small popularity as it has ever had here has been on the wane in recent years.

Against the grain Radio 2 have picked up on mainstream country the past 2 years playlisting Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Little Big Town and Sugarland giving them heavy airplay - Sugarland currently "A " playlisted. I haven't bought a CD by any of the artists played on Thursday's show.
Justin Townes Earle isn't my bag but too many he will be up their middle lane. As Wiki points out country music is very diverse so generally Bob plays something I do like, if only one track. I don't think he should lean any more towards Americana than he already does and has done. As the homepage says " Bob presents his choice of country, roots and Americana music". I'm sure as the only UK National radio country show the brief is to appeal to as broad a base as possible.

I'm excited about the new country artists on the 2011 block and some of the new singles hitting the airwaves in America like Sunny Sweeney 'One Table A Way'. This keeps my interest in the genre alive. Generally for various reasons and priorities people are taking less interest in music. For example with country this reflects in the 2000 people who didn't renew their Maverick magazine subscriptions last year.

Hard to believe Dolly was 65 on Wednesday or as she'd say, at least parts of her are 65.
I was surprised to read this week that Gretchen Wilson and the staff of her Redneck Records were celebrating her two Grammy nominations in the Best Country Female Vocal Performance and Best Country Song categories.
Go to Top of Page

johng
Frequently Whispers

367 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  18:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my ears, and I spend lots of time in Nashville, Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Sugarland and Little Big Town are mainstream pop, yet are marketed country.
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  22:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is getting increasingly hard to determine what is and isn't country, and country itself obviously changes as decades go by. There was a track from the Loretta Lynn Tribute Album on Thursday's show, it doesn't get much more real country than Loretta Lynn's songs! I like hearing the songs sung by her, but will probably buy the tribute album as well.

I have bought CDs by people on Thursday's show, including the opening song, I buy Dolly Parton albums. There is also a kind of difference between what is now Nashville country and Americana coming out of Austin, much of which is also country (and of course there are all the other places as well). Nashville has tended to go possibly more commercial now. Apart from differences between different singers, singers vary between singing perhaps more traditional country then going more pop/rock. I think it is enjoyable that there is so much variety and I don't worry too much about which 'genre' people are in, I just judge it by whether or not the music appeals to me.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

StockCarG
Frequently Whispers

537 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2011 :  22:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't worry too much about which 'genre' people are in, I just judge it by whether or not the music appeals to me Well said Isobel! I really don't care what label it wears, the only question is: do I like it? Even artists I really really don't like, just occasionally come up with something I do. I guess keeping an open mind (or trying to) is what it all comes down to.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Bob Harris - Whispers © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Bob Harris Logo
Welcome to the Bob Harris Site
Bob's Biography
Awards 2011
Whispers