BOB HARRIS Country Shows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2011 :  15:29:39  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anthony

But then I remembered the first part of the programme showcasing the awards from the Academy of Country Music, which sounds pretty much like a musical arm of the National Rifle Association

Good ACM review by Bob !
Sugarland 'Tonight' - Totally amazing album track and possibly one of the very best Bob Harris session performances.
Sugarland are certainly spill-over artists, with a voice like Jennifers she can do anything. The Rihanna and Jennifer performance was one of the most anticipated collaboration of the awards. Showcasing both artists powerful vocal ability the two alternated singing lead and harmonizing on Rihanna's new single 'California King Bed' Picture -
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.theboot.com/media/2011/04/jennifer-nettles-rihanna-456-040311-1301891155.jpg

Miranda Lambert - Congrats to the songwriters of 'The House That Built Me' Tom Douglas and Allen Shamblin.
Miranda Lambert has formed a new girl group called the Pistol Annies. The 2 other girls are Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley.
Miranda Lambert debuted her new trio singing 'Hell On Heels' at an ACM Superstar Women of Country event in Vegas which airs April 22nd on CBS - http://www.wplj.com/Article.asp?id=2153400&spid=40170

For me Ashley Monroe is a brilliant artist and songwriter. I picked up on her in 2006 when BBC Radio2's Nick Barraclough said back then he was going to SWEAR referencing to the song. He did use a 4-letter word! Describing 'Satisfied' he said: That is one DAMN good song ! Nick was right but then nothing.

Ashley has a whole lot of songwriting credits and she had a # 1 Billboard via The Truth for Jason Aldean. Ashley was badly let down by SONY who can't see incredible talent right in front of their faces. Luckily her music was made available last year and still is on Amazon and iTunes as digital downloads. Best whole set of songs for me since Lee Ann Womacks debut.

My requests for Ashley to Bob Harris Country last year came to nothing. Same with the UK press. Someone who did give a nod to Ashley was Miranda in January's 2011 Maverick magazine.
"We were on the same label together for a while, and we met that way, and just became friends," Miranda says. "We've been great friends for almost three - four years now. She is just amazing. And it's the kind of thing where I don't usually co-write, I don't work well that way. So Ashley and I planned on writing a song together, and we just clicked. She is just such a different artist completely, but she is so amazing."
http://www.facebook.com/PistolAnnies

The Zac Brown Band performance with James Taylor was another highlight at the ACM Awards with 'Colder Weather,' segued into James' 'Sweet Baby James, ending with a standing ovation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHuuoBBrFlg
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2011 :  20:13:39  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blimey The Roys have made it onto Bob Harris Country ! On behalf of their UK fans thanks Bob, nice song choice.

Good to hear Emmylou cover the Ron Sexsmith track 'Hard Bargain'

Alison Krauss & Union Station - To Correct an earlier post I made, Alison has not written at all for the album it was her brother Viktor Krauss who wrote 'Lie Awake' with Angel Snow thus leaving one solitary AKUS credit, a Barry Bales co-write.
I wonder if many have pre-ordered or bought the album off the back of the single 'Paper Airplane' without hearing the whole album from start to finish.

It's the #1 Country and Bluegrass Album on Billboard with 82,987 copies sold in its first week
Its #1 on the UK Country Album chart and a high New Entry at #11 on the main UK album chart. No idea of sales fgures, in rip off Britain you need to subscribe at £200+ a year to get that data. No sign of it in Tesco though, Daniel O'Donnell is their Album Of The Week - Yes Really !

I still think Country Weekly magazine have got Paper Airplane right with a 3 Star Rating.
It shows with the fame factor, a reputation, a publicity machine getting you widespread media attention on National TV and radio playlisting what a huge difference it makes as opposed to other bluegrass releases of equal if not better merit. Bobs special made all the difference.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Halligan
Occasionally Whispers

98 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  11:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Rob Halligan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotta say I Loved Hard bargain enough to buy the ablum. Also loved the last track played last night, the one produced by Buddy Miller, but I forget who it was other than Emmylou Harris featured on it.
Enlightenment would be apreciated!

www.robhalligan.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  13:07:29  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Halligan

Gotta say I Loved Hard bargain enough to buy the ablum. Also loved the last track played last night, the one produced by Buddy Miller, but I forget who it was other than Emmylou Harris featured on it. Enlightenment would be apreciated!
www.robhalligan.co.uk

I bought Vigilantes Of Love album 'Audible Sigh' a few years back after hearing Bob play them. A great album cover, kind of a lost in the ozone album. Bill Mallonee wrote all the songs. Buddy Miller plays electric & 12-string guitars and adds background vocals. Ex SPYBOY drummer Brady Blade appears. Emmylou and Julie Miller add background vocals. Yes, Emmylou Harris adds her vocal to 'Resplendent' the one choosen last night. She also co-produced the album with Buddy Miller.

The Roys - Bob, Can the Radio 2 playlisting be ammended they are missing ? It would help anyone who wants to follow them up.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010dkbg
'Everything I Ever Wanted' is certainly one of my favourites from the album.

Go to Top of Page

leskneeling
Site Admin

874 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2011 :  19:44:25  Show Profile  Visit leskneeling's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they'll change the listing shortly after they fix the one from the 16th January that calls Jo Hamilton 'Mr John Hamilton'...
Go to Top of Page

allnewimprovedmindcandy
Frequently Whispers

472 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  20:25:09  Show Profile  Visit allnewimprovedmindcandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bravo Bob,

Tonight's show a real treat. Particularly good to hear not just Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Buddy Miller, Alison Krauss and Lucinda Williams but also that fabulous track "Angel Of Darkness" that opens the new Hot Tuna album 'Steady As She Goes'.

It was wonderful to hear. Jorma still sounds as good as ever when that guitar solo starts at 3'02".

Keep on truckin'........................

Go to Top of Page

StockCarG
Frequently Whispers

537 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  21:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, really enjoyed tonight's show and couldn't agree more about Hot Tuna - that's an immediate "must have" track.
Go to Top of Page

The Lew
Frequently Whispers

1223 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  00:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed that show tonight. Every track a winner and not a cowboy hat in sight . I'll be playing it back a good few times this week and it'll probably cost me a few quid again. Really didn't know that Hot Tuna had released a new cd.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  11:51:45  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Lew

I really enjoyed that show tonight. Every track a winner and not a cowboy hat in sight . I'll be playing it back a good few times this week and it'll probably cost me a few quid again. Really didn't know that Hot Tuna had released a new cd.

The Hot Tuna track was very good but I couldn't trace any "country" ingredients. Yes, if you like your music esquistely presented and perfectly in tune then we had Alison Krauss & Union Station but if raw and ragged is your bag then it was crammed full with Americana artists. Bob was referencing to the Americana charts this week but 3 of the artists played chart high on the Billboard Country charts and appear on the UK Album Chart.
UK Chart - Steve Earle is New at #28 , Emmylou at New at #30, Alison Krauss stands at #33 have peaked at #11 three weeks ago. If there is anyone on this forum from the music industry who has sales figures for all three it would be hugely interesting to see how their markets compare to America.
Billboard Country Chart - Alison Krauss/Union Station stand at #2 this week selling 23,424 copies of Paper Airplane ( First week sales were 82,987 and last week 42,314)
Emmylou Harris debuts at #3 with Hard Bargain selling 16,858 copies and Steve Earle is a new entry at #4 as 'I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive' sells 13,657.

Yes no cowboy hats on the show but the trend these days seems to be a requirement for facial hair and the wearing of baseball caps , most actually wearing them the right way round! A lot of these modern day male country artists on the charts I find bland and vocally are very hard to tell apart.
If Bob is to go back to the "hats" he could opt for the new Kenny Chesney single 'Tequila And Me' a duet with Grace Potter written by Matraca Berg and combine it with a play from her new album.

quote:
Originally posted by allnewimprovedmindcandy

Tonight's show a real treat. Particularly good to hear not just Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Buddy Miller, Alison Krauss and Lucinda Williams but also that fabulous track "Angel Of Darkness" that opens the new Hot Tuna album 'Steady As She Goes'.
Your hardly going to get an unbiased opinion from die-hard fan Bob regarding Emmylou. Bob described the track as "brilliant" with a brilliant reaction to the session on Twitter.
I gave it 2 plays through on NPR Listen and haven't got into it yet. It's a bit on the dreary side for me.

Mixed reviews
1) "If there is a one guarantee in the music world, it is that an Emmylou Harris will be filled with gorgeous singing........Matching her always-beautiful singing with a set of personal, emotionally-moving songs, "Hard Bargain" marks another triumphant recording in a career filled with memorable work "
SOURCE - http://www.countrystandardtime.com/d/cdreview.asp?xid=4638

2) Nick Barraclough (Former BBC Radio 2 Country Presenter )BBC Album Review
"These self-penned songs aren't the match of Emmylou?s highest standards."..."It's only fair that Emmylou Harris has earned the right to a bit of self-indulgence. ....Alas, though, often self-indulgence doesn't work......"She just needs to dig up some big old songs again, as those here aren?t consistently up to the standard fans have rightly come to expect "
SOURCE - http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/5hm5

3) COUNTRY MUSIC PEOPLE Magazine May edition
Douglas McPherson he gives HARD BARGAIN just ONE STAR & calls it "plodding".

I find myself agreeing with highly respected Nick Barraclough.
Looking at the price of tickets to see Emmylou in Manchester, the cheapest was over £60! Yes, that's what you call a "Hard Bargain" to justify
Go to Top of Page

allnewimprovedmindcandy
Frequently Whispers

472 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:11:58  Show Profile  Visit allnewimprovedmindcandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy

How much would you pay tp watch Rihanna?
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:17:18  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lady Antebellum
Their album NEED YOU NOW is still after 16 months on the Billboard Country chart at #11 selling 9,659 copies and 3.46 million copies since its release, but they have now moved on from that.
Their new single 'Just A Kiss' was released digitally this week and they debuted it on the results show of American Idol which was on ITV2. Its got #1 smash hit written all over it.
There is a Full Press Release and you can listen to the song in full from here
http://www.thegreenroompr.com/releases/lady-05.02.11.html

Rather ironic with all the sucess Lady A have had their singer Hillary Scott didn't even make it past a first round Idol audition some years back!

REQUEST - Bob as your name still shows in the listing on HOTDISC as a radio programmer who receives it http://www.hotdisc.net/thursday.htm
Any chance you could please play the lead of track by Shawna Russell called 'Sounds Like A Party'.
Young UK artist Tim McKay who has is signed to a publishing company in Nashville also has a track 'It's Your Song' on it. With the sucess Lady A and others are having in the UK he realises the need to write original material to bring this music to the attention of hopefully a younger audience in order for UK country music scene to have any sort of future. There does though seem to be a resurgence in old-time music with what Laura Cantrell and The Secret Sisters are currently up too. How to strike a balance ?
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2011 :  12:23:06  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Andy
How much would you pay tp watch Rihanna?

£40 tops is more than enough for anyone in a recession though artists seem to sadly ignore that fact.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  19:22:56  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alison Krauss & Union Station - Paper Airplane
For a limited time WHOLE album is selling for £5.99 on iTunes
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/alison-krauss-union-station/id354058195

Chris Young - Despite having had #1 single on the Billboard Country Chart he hasn't been played by Bob so far.
Chris world premieres the music video for hit single 'Tomorrow' on Vevo
Video - http://www.vevo.com/watch/chris-young/tomorrow/USRV51100008
It's the fastest rising single of his career racing up the charts.
SOURCE RCA Press Release - http://www.rcarecordslabel.com/press-releases/chris-young-world-premieres-music-video-hit-single-%E2%80%9Ctomorrow%E2%80%9D-vevo-today
Go to Top of Page

The Lew
Frequently Whispers

1223 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  18:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the song on the video the number 1 on the Billboard Chart Andy?
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  19:52:53  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is the song on the video the number 1 on the Billboard Chart Andy?

Chris Youngs single 'Tomorrow' is currently standing at # 13. I just checked and in fact he has had 3 previous #1's the last one 'Voices' was what drew my attention to him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Young_(singer)
Go to Top of Page

allnewimprovedmindcandy
Frequently Whispers

472 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  20:10:59  Show Profile  Visit allnewimprovedmindcandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting Lee Ann Womack cover of The Weight. I've not heard much from this compilation, save for the Roseanne Cash track, which is exceptionally good.

Go to Top of Page

The Lew
Frequently Whispers

1223 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  20:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought this cd just for the Roches version of Acadian Driftwood (from their Northern Lights, Southern Cross album) but I don't think I've ever played the cd through mindcandy.
Go to Top of Page

allnewimprovedmindcandy
Frequently Whispers

472 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  20:58:06  Show Profile  Visit allnewimprovedmindcandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must get to hear the Allman Brothers cover. Ditto those from Jakob Dylan and My Morning Jacket.

PS ALISON KRAUSS DUE UP ON R2 IN 3 MINUTES!
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  19:18:17  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great to hear Sarah Jarosz. Agreed with everything you said. The newly turned 20-year old has talent. the track 'Gypsy' certainly has a Mindy Smith feel to it.
CD Review
http://countrymusicnewsinternational.blogspot.com/2011/05/sarah-jarosz-follow-me-down.html
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  23:30:43  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really pleased to see Sarah Jarosz is a nominee at the forthcoming Americana Awards.
BLURB - The Americana Music Association saluted the year's best today as Rosanne Cash announced the list of 2011 Americana Music Association Honors & Awards nominees during a moving and emotional event at the Gibson/Baldwin Showroom in New York City.
See full listing and pictures.
http://www.musicrow.com/2011/05/cook-and-plant-lead-americana-honors-nominations/

With the huge media success and reaction for The Secret Sisters in the UK ( The hit of 2011) you would think they will walk the Emerging artist award.

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2011 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listening to session now, that album sleeve is beautiful, suits the music. So good to hear those Heathens again

Isobel

Edited few mins later: listening to Enough - love this one
Great conversation on Austin too, and their style of playing/producing records. Their last show of tour in Glasgow was just fantastic, unbelievable playing and they are so 'in sync' with each other. Have been listening to their album all week repeatedly.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  14:19:53  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Isobelj

Listening to session now, that album sleeve is beautiful, suits the music. So good to hear those Heathens again

A racing certainty you'd post Isobel after The Heathens session and you'll be pleased with an all Americana format to the latest show.

Good to hear Sarah Jarosz again Thanks Bob! Its difficult trying to get other BBC presenters to take note of her. I wish there was more joined up thinking and support between the media. With Sarah due to tour in July - http://sarahjarosz.com/tour They could at least allow listeners to hear her music make their minds up and mention her dates. Whether its the fault of the artist not sending Radio station their music or that its being ignored who knows?
Last week she was NEW at #94 on the Billboard Charts selling 5,029 copies.

The Civil Wars - I'm slow to pick up on them but astonished by the success, as an unsigned Inde act, they are having. They have shot up 44 places in a week on Billboard to #51 (Top 30 on Country Chart) with a further 8,962 copies sold and for 2011 an excellent total tally of 103,743! Helped this week with sales at best buy for $7.99 and at Amazon's MP3 store with a $3.99 daily deal sale. To sell 100k of Barton Hollow in 4 months without a label - WOW! Industry folks are saying they are are virtual locks for a Best New Artist Grammy nomination, come Jan 2012!.

When will be hearing Matraca Berg's new album DREAMING FIELDS ?
Great reviews all over the Internet. Nowhere to be seen on the Bilboard Top 200. It's got a NE at #42 on the Country album Chart I'd estimate its sold 2400 (Based on John Rich at #40 selling 2,483). It's #23 on the Americana Radio Chart and on the UK Country chart it's at #18 was #15 after 3 weeks.
In todays climate I can only hear one Radio friendly track. Doesn't appear any single has gone to radio. She will though be landing huge success with Kenny Chesney/ Grace Potter new single 'You & Tequila' written by Matraca. It could well go on to be #1. I love it.
The Wine, Women & Song ladies are due on BBC Breakfast tomorrow 7 June (Suzy Bogguss Facebook) Will BBC wine be served up instead of coffee?
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  22:02:29  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
0.B.E = Oh Bloomin' Excellent = Sierra Hull

That was so great that you invited her into the studio to record 3 live songs. Must have been a flying visit. Loved all your comments Bob and it will be great to hear tracks from the DAYBREAK album in the next few weeks. I agreed with everything you said. I'm biased because I think she's brilliant. Daybreak is my favourite song and album so far this year in country circles.
I got the impression you weren't there in person to see her. Loved the session! THANKS Bob & Sierra!

Brad Paisley - Can't quite understand the "This Is Country Music" reprises at the end of several tracks. Must a DJ's nightmare not knowing when the tracks have finished. 'Love Remind Me' with Carrie Underwood is great,'Love Her Likes She Leavin' is terrific. 'One Of Those Lifes' has a Don Henley feel to it and 'New Favourite Memory' is classy track.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  19:20:04  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob
A great Wine, Women & Song 3 in a row! :)
Great coments about Matraca Berg from "And the new album is a triumph
, and it's absolutely gorgeous" . You also said you were "so delighted to see The Dreaming Fields doing well in this country"
It's been stuck at #18 on the UK Country Chart -
http://www.theofficialcharts.com/country-artist-albums-chart/
On the Billboard Country Charted it debuted at #42 and from those albums around it sold about 2400 in its first week and has got no higher. This is simpler ridiculous compared to some of the lightweight stuff that charts well.
Surely you can't let this month slip away without playing "A Cold, Rainy Morning in London in June" which for me is a stand out. Love to hear please ?

Nice track from Suzy Bogguss with "Shenandoah".

Playing Gretchen Peters brought her luck. Respected Nashville songwriter Gretchen Peters has been nominated for induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame:
http://www.musicnewsnashville.com/gretchen-peters-nominated-for-induction-into-nashville-songwriters-hall-of-fame

Brad Paisley - He has sold over 243,000 copies in the first 3 weeks and is at #3 on the Billboard Country chart. For fans of Brad this is a MUST SEE
Brad Paisley Artist Soundcheck -
Doing his bit for a little struggling store called ?WALMART!
6 live songs + an interview
http://soundcheck.walmart.com/brad-paisley
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  23:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loved that Jimmy Dale Gilmore song tonight. Whole show was great but that was my favourite, I want to catch up with that album

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2011 :  11:27:42  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Star Wheel Press - Where on earth did they materialise from ? Bob "It's the beautifully unravelled music of Star Whel Press...I think it'?s really beautiful"

Sierra Hull - Good to hear another track from her with the official UK album release due in a weeks time.

Wayne Hancock - At the start of June he canceled summer dates to go into rehabilitation for an unstated addiction. NET BLURB: The retro country singer has had previous issues with alcohol.
"With the support of his family, friends, club owners and label, Wayne Hancock has canceled his July and August tour dates to enter a comprehensive residential rehabilitation program," his label said in a press release.

Matraca Berg - Looking forward to her forthcoming session. She is Country Music People's cover feature artist now in WHS shops.

CMA fest - Quite a surprise to see Radio 2 putting out 3 highlights programmes in the week. One can only imagine it must have come about when CMA President Steve Moore came over early in the year and had meetings with the BBC. What next the CMA Awards to return to BBC Radio 2 in November. Thanks to Peter Cooper & Jace Everett for hosting the shows http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012072t

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2011 :  20:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great show tonight - loved the track by Gillian Welch. I've heard so much praise for her new album this week. Have quickly put it on my 'must buy' list.

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  20:52:21  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Isobel
What is that you really like about the Gillian Welch album? The track Bob played is possibly the only real radio friendly one. So many fabulous reviews online for it and Bob said he really recommends. What is it I should be really trying to embrace with the album? What makes you engage with her music? The lyrics the craft the ambience?

The Roys - Many thanks Bob for playing them again and endorcing their music and your kind words. That's exciting that you will doing a session with them in Nashville in October. I'm sure a great deal more people will now be picking up on them with these National radio plays. Reviews on Amazon all very positive. UK fans on country forums said now good they were at CMA Fest events. Joe Fish (BBC Radio Lancashire) and his party were waxing lyrically about seeing them play live at CMA festival. One of the highlights for them
Sierra Hull - Another excellent track.

The quality on bluegrass Inde releases continues in 2011.
Donna Ulisse has made her new full album "An Easy Climb" avialable digitally to radio programmers. Another album that gets better with each listen. I've become much more of a bluegrass fan than I ever imagined this year. The music is just so likeable.

Another nice new song is this one from Jane Gillman. Loks like she has a new EP out "Piscean Dreams" - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/janegillman4
A bit hit and miss but this one called 'Taxicabs At Night' sounds good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z8tdVCYFgA

Anyone else like it?
Go to Top of Page

The Lew
Frequently Whispers

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  22:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANYONE ELSE LIKE WOT?
Go to Top of Page

The Lew
Frequently Whispers

1223 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just decided to check out one of your recommendations Andy, instead of totally ignoring your posts (as I usually do). I gave the Donna Ulisse album a listen and it's total ****.
Go to Top of Page

allnewimprovedmindcandy
Frequently Whispers

472 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  23:20:02  Show Profile  Visit allnewimprovedmindcandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had the new Gillian Welch CD for a week now and it is simply excellent. A true return to form after the relative disappointment of "Soul Journey" eight years ago. It stands to be a worthy candidate for the record of the year shortlist and we're only 50% through 2011 - which has provided gems from Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss and Union Station, Buddy Miller, Robert Plant, Seasick Steve and several others.

For me it is the writing. Great storytelling from both David and Gillian. There is something mysterious in a Dylanesque fashion that makes you want to relisten to the songs over and over again such is the drama and depth contained in the writing, ostensibly about relationships.

We're back to the impeccable standard of "Time the Revelator" material. This recording is a classic Americana item and marks a return to greatness after a too long absence.

Heartily recommended.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  06:43:40  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've just decided to check out one of your recommendations Andy, instead of totally ignoring your posts (as I usually do). I gave the Donna Ulisse album a listen and it's total ****.

Thanks for your positive comment. That's fine as there aren't many new posts to ignore anymore on this forum. I'm thankful that the presenter of Thursdays country show didn't ignore one of my recommendations. Donna Ulisse album went to the top of the radio digital download charts so it must have something going for it.
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  06:54:00  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've had the new Gillian Welch CD for a week now and it is simply excellent........ For me it is the writing. Great storytelling from both David and Gillian. There is something mysterious in a Dylanesque fashion that makes you want to relisten to the songs over and over again such is the drama and depth contained in the writing, ostensibly about relationships.

So you have the physical hard copy? It appears from the forum it doesn't contain any lyrics. From listening to the new Eliza Gilkyson 'Roses At The End Of Time' I think that is equally mysterious with really well crafted songs but has more light and shade to it. That one too made me relisten to the songs in the way you describe.
Go to Top of Page

allnewimprovedmindcandy
Frequently Whispers

472 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  10:24:06  Show Profile  Visit allnewimprovedmindcandy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy,

Don't worry about it. Some people might say that Gillian Welch is an acquired taste in the same way that, say, Tom Waits, Beck, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Laura Veirs, Joanna Newsom or Patricia Barber are.

I would say that Gillian Welch material is, even when stripped down, as this new collection of songs are, requiring a fair amount from the listener purely on the narratives alone - and that is not allowing for the dazzling accompaniment of David Rawlings musical playing . Taking in all the songs at once is like eating an entire box of luxury Belgian chocolates in one relatively short sitting. Clearly not a good idea when you know that you will reach optimum satisfaction after the third chocolate. Diametrically opposed to that is the more fluffily up-tempo kind of thing that say Elizabeth Cook knocks off say "Sometimes It Takes Balls To Be A Woman". The musical equivalent of an M'n'M. Despite that I have an affection for this kind of thing too. In small doses.

Just accept that people have different tastes and the world is a better place for it.

BTW,Good to hear that you fully appreciate the work of Eliza Gilkyson
. Now that's what I call being positive............

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  15:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi andycole,
Sorry read this on a brief read-only visit to the forum a couple of days ago, have been suffering from close proximity to 6 ft. high floral weeds without taking hayfever medication first syndrome, so responses a little dulled.

Difficult to answer really, if you don't enjoy listening to Gillian Welch then I don't think anything anyone else says is going to change that. You just have to react to music the way you do; I've had people recommending albums to me and if I don't like them, there is nothing I can do about it, their opinions don't change that. I think listening to music is quite instinctive really, you either like it or you don't. Perhaps you might hear more on further listening that you like at first.

I like her voice, it's very 'gritty' - isn't the right word, but along those lines. I find her lyrics thoughtful and perhaps they just suit the way I feel. Was interested to see comments about lyrics lacking from album cover - it's still not unusual for people to release albums without lyrics enclosed. An album with a coffee stain on it will always appeal to me, but hadn't seen it when first liking the songs

Someone said recently that hearing the album made them cry (in a good way).

My feeling with music is no one else can tell you what to think of it or what to look for, you can get recommendations but how you respond to what you hear is up to your own taste in music really. I don't know about that track being 'the only radio friendly one'. Hope that doesn't prove to be a general view.

Isobel

Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  21:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really enjoyed hearing Johnny Cash 'I walk the line' tonight. Also great session hearing the long-time insider view on Nashville. One complaint about the show, it seemed to go to quickly. But that often happens

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi andycole,.........
Someone said recently that hearing the album made them cry (in a good way).

My feeling with music is no one else can tell you what to think of it or what to look for, you can get recommendations but how you respond to what you hear is up to your own taste in music really. I don't know about that track being 'the only radio friendly one'. Hope that doesn't prove to be a general view.
Isobel

Yes I get all that you say Isobel.
Why I asked about Gillian Welch was to gauge opinion as to what attracts people to her music, after all this is a "forum" where music is or should be discussed? With her saying the album is 10 different types of sad then those vibes have appeal.
Gillian's album has not got a "country" release. Hence no appearance on Billboard Country Album Chart. It has Debuted at #20 on the Billboard 200,It's #1 Billboard Folk I estimate first week sales of 24,000. On the UK Charts it was at #25 with 7,129 sales.
I have taken note of what was said and given it further listens
http://countrymusicnewsinternational.blogspot.com/2011/07/gillian-welch-harrow-harvest-cd-review.html

Johnny Cash - I guess now and again Bob throws in a classic track. That really is one of the most requested songs on country radio. Its been played zillions of times. Quite why some people want to hear it and songs like 'Islands In The Stream' and 'The Gambler' every week has me baffled. A new artist would bite their arm off to get a national radio spin instead.

Matraca Berg - She sounded like she was a Maida Vale having a cold. It was still a super high quality session and excellent conversation. Gretchen Peters said in her newsletter she lost her voice by the time they reached Glastonbury.

The Roys - This was filmed at CMA Fest in a Nashville hotel playing to British fans. What a taster Bob before you see them in Nashville in October.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Yc0AEQE1Y
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  20:15:06  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Pop/Alt Country Callaghan on Sunday show. The songs origin goes back 4 years.

Donna Ulisse

I possible debut for Bob Harris Country in the pipeline?
Top notch bluegrass players and its #12 on Euro Americana Chart.
Shes playing dates with her band The Poor Mountain Boys on their first international trip as they depart for Russia on Sunday, July 10, 2011 for four bluegrass festival dates in a country where bluegrass is seldom heard.The invitation to perform was sent from the U.S. Embassy in Russia. Ulisse and her band will be the only American act performing.

CD Review
http://countrymusicnewsinternational.blogspot.com/2011/07/donna-ulisse-easy-climb-cd-review.html
Go to Top of Page

Isobelj
Frequently Whispers

750 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  11:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Isobelj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed that Donna Ulisse video.

I saw a commen earlier this morning by the Band of Heathens about Gillian Welch's new album 'a PhD in back porch picking.' Thought that was a great description. It made me think of your views andycole. I think reacting to music apart from personal taste also can be affected by mood, perhaps when you listen again you'll hear more in it. I'm never sure about the way what is and isn't country is decided, 'country' covers such a wide range now. Whatever her album is classed as, I like it.

Johnny Cash's walk the line song is one I always enjoy hearing, not necessarily once a week, great lyric, he had a wonderfully rich voice and I also like the key changes.

Wonder what treats are in store in tonight's show

Isobel
Go to Top of Page

andycole
Frequently Whispers

758 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2011 :  17:22:09  Show Profile  Visit andycole's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Enjoyed that Donna Ulisse video......
I saw a commen earlier this morning by the Band of Heathens about Gillian Welch's new album 'a PhD in back porch picking.' Thought that was a great description. Isobel

Hi Isobel
Thanks for your kind comment about the Donna Ulisse video.
I love that quote about Gillian Welch - Perfect !
He album has been replaced at #1 by Mumford & Son on Billboard Folk chart. I'd say she shifted another 12,000 copies this week in America.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Fri) for Alison Krauss & Union Station who have UK dates in November.
London x 2, Birmingham, The Sage( as ever) Gateshead , Glasgow + Irish dates
http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/event/410255/Alison_Krauss_The_Sage_Gateshead_5_November_2011.html
London £45 + £1.25 - http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/music/gigs-contemporary/tickets/alison-krauss-union-station-60724
Birmingham £33.50 / £37.50 + £2 booking - http://www.thsh.co.uk/view/alison-krauss--union-station-featuring-jerry-dougl

Bob will probably mention them on tonights show but just incase not.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Bob Harris - Whispers © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Bob Harris Logo
Welcome to the Bob Harris Site
Bob's Biography
Awards 2011
Whispers